US Limits Travel from Brazil Amid escalates of coronavirus outbreak
The White House has make known a ban on travel to the United States from Brazil amid the escalation of coronavirus in Latin America’s hardest-hit country.
Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in a briefing on Sunday evening that the ban pertain to all foreign nationals who have been in Brazil in the 14 days before coming back to the US.
McEnany flip it as a move by US President Donald Trump “to protect our country”. Trump notified last week that he was taking into consideration to cut back Brazil.
The President Trump has already banned travel from the United Kingdom, Europe and China, all of which have been hit hard by the virus. The US has the world’s highest number of cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, and has confirmed not much less than100,000 deaths.
‘The travel ban was a blow to right-wing Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, who has shadowed Trump in his approach to the pandemic, fighting calls for social distancing and touting unproven drugs. The Brazilian president’s office did not respond to a request for comment.’
“The US maintains a strong partnership with Brazil and we work closely to mitigate the socioeconomic and health impacts of COVID-19 in Brazil,” the US Embassy in Brasilia said in a statement.
The new restraint come into play on May 28, the embassy said.
Brazil’s foreign ministry called it a technical decision in the context of “important bilateral collaboration” to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic, highlighting US helping of $6.5m and a new White House promise of 1,000 respirators.
McEnany further enlightened that the new limitations would help ensure foreign nationals do not bring more Covid-19 infections to the US, but would not affect the commercial activities between the two countries.