now browsing by tag
A South Korean court has rejected a US extradition appeal for the man behind one of the world’s largest child sexual abuse websites.
Son Jong-woo, who owns the website is known to have served 18 months in South Korea for producing and distributing pornographic images of children.
Following his initial release in April, Son Jong was was charged after a warrant was issued for US extradition.
But he will now be released again after the request was rejected by South Korea.
Campaigners had urged the court to send him to the US, where he would have faced a harsher punishment than in South Korea. But South Korea still remains on standstill and there is no signs of accepting the US extradition.
South Korea’s football season will start on Friday after a two-month coronavirus set back, clearing the way for the global game as other leagues struggle to return to action.
Goal caurousing, handshakes and even talking are out under strict new safety measures put forward to prevent any contagion during games, which will be played behind closed doors.
“While countries such as Belarus, Turkmenistan and Taiwan defied the virus to keep playing football, South Korea — the 2002 World Cup co-hosts and semi-finalists — are the first prominent nation in the sport to allow matches.”
South Korea have taken one of the worst early escalation of COVID-19 outside China, pushing professional sports to hang or delay their seasons, a control that was redo worldwide.
But the country seems to have flattened the curve thanks to an appendage “trace, test and treat” programme, and football’s restart comes after baseball started without fans on Tuesday.
“The K-League is Asia’s first major competition to return to action, while Europe’s giants remain sidelined with only Germany’s Bundesliga so far making concrete plans to resume.”
Friday’s resuming game will be between defending champions Jeonbuk Motors — who are managed by Jose Mourinho’s former assistant Jose Morais — and Cup-holders Suwon Bluewings.
South Korea says the number of new coronavirus cases in the country has more than doubled in one day.
Officials said on Saturday that 229 new cases had been confirmed since Friday, raising the total to 433.
Vice Health Minister Kim Gang-lip said the outbreak had entered “a serious new phase”.
Many of the new cases are linked to a hospital and to a religious group near the south-eastern city of Daegu, authorities have said.
Two patients in South Korea have died so far and there are fears the number will rise.
Daegu and nearby Cheongdo – where the hospital is situated – have been declared “special care zones” and the streets of Daegu are reported to be largely abandoned.
South Korea has now reported the largest number of confirmed infections outside China – 76,288 cases including 2,345 deaths – and the outbreak on the Diamond Princess cruise ship off the coast of Japan which has seen more than 600 cases.
The latest developments came as Chinese health authorities reported a decrease in the rate of deaths and new cases of the coronavirus on Saturday.
The head of the World Health Organization (WHO), Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has expressed concern at the number of new cases with no clear link to China or other confirmed cases.
He said the greatest concern now was countries with weaker health systems, particularly in Africa.
Outside China, more than 1,200 cases of the virus have been confirmed in 26 countries and there have been at least eight deaths, the WHO says.
In other developments:
- An evacuation flight carrying 32 British and other European cruise ship passengers from Japan has landed in England
- Italy reported its second death from the virus – a woman living in the northern region of Lombardy – a day after a 78-year-old man became the first person in Italy to die from the new coronavirus.
- Iran reported its fifth death from the disease and said there were now 28 infections
The new virus, which originated last year in Hubei province in China, causes a respiratory disease called Covid-19.
What happened in South Korea?
Medical officials first announced 142 new cases on Saturday and then hours later increased the number by 87.
In a statement, the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said that of the 229 new cases, 95 were related to Daenam Hospital in Cheongdo. There are now 114 confirmed cases at the hospital – nine staff and 102 patients – it added.
Mr Kim said most of those diagnosed had been inpatients for mental health issues. He said some cases showed “no confirmed epidemiological connections”, meaning it was not clear how they had contracted the virus, he added.