USA news

now browsing by tag

 
 

Trump economy encounters long-term catastrophe as jobs data emerges

The swaying economic pain — might be one of the trounce since the 1930s — of the American economy in the time of the Corona Virus pandemic will be graphically intensified in two new rounds of unemployment data that are due on Thursday and Friday.

“The figures will show Americans who have and will lose their livelihoods as common victims of the most cruel public health crisis in 100 years, along with the sick and the more than 73,000 people who have so far died.”

The anticipation of an extended economic hovel will have vital implications in politics. It is already threatening to humidify memories of the roaring economy that President Donald Trump was banking on to carry him to a second term.

“It may also provide an opening to presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden who helped bring the country back from the last economic crisis in the Obama administration.”

The coming reality that the “rocket” like glance the President foretell is unlikely may be behind Trump’s drastically frantic statements on a emergency he has also declared will soon be over.

“We went through the worst attack we’ve ever had on our country,” he said on Wednesday. For weeks early this year, Trump was in denial and painted the threat from the virus as tiny.

“This is really the worst attack we’ve ever had. This is worse than Pearl Harbor. This is worse than the World Trade Center,” Trump said Wednesday.

Trump also called on schools to resume and cut off a nurse visiting the Oval Office who observed that personal preventive equipment had been “sporadic” in hospitals.

Source___CNN

US President DonaldTrump revolves hard away from fight against suppress pandemic

US President DonaldTrump revolves hard away from fight against suppress pandemic

No matter the speed that Corona Virus cases are escalating in many states and that governors are ignoring his guidelines about when it’s safe to open.

Trump is beckoning off “warnings by scientists” that the easing limitations taking place across the country could cause tens of thousands of fatalities.

The White House gave its plain sign yet Tuesday, just less than six months from Election Day and as the number of deaths in US topped 70,000, that it is moving from pandemic management to a message of renewal and an aggressive pitch for a second term.

“And Trump is thwarting oversight efforts of how he and his administration responded to the pandemic that could reveal failures that worsened the outbreak”.

Trump comply that “there’ll be more death” as the country opened but added “the virus will pass, with or without a vaccine. And I think we’re doing very well on vaccines but, with or without a vaccine, it’s going to pass, and we’re going to be back to normal.”

Vice President Mike Pence make it known to the public, the conversations about ascending back the administration’s coronavirus task force maybe around Memorial Day at the end of the month.

Officials said that advisers like Drs. Anthony Fauci and Deborah Birx would in the forefront. But closing the task force would make experts whose science-based debates have sometimes not in line with Trump’s overly cheerful projections far less visible.

Source___CNN

U.S. Supreme Court to review overseas anti-AIDS funding curtailments

The Supreme Court on Tuesday is set to consider arguments over whether a U.S. law infringe constitutional free speech rights by requiring overseas associates of American-based nonprofit groups that seek federal funding for HIV/AIDS assistance to explicitly adopt a bearing against prostitution and sex trafficking.

“The case is the second in which the nine justices will hear arguments by teleconference following Monday’s debut of the call-in format prompted by the coronavirus pandemic in a trademark dispute involving hotel reservation website Booking.com.

President Donald Trump’s administration is alluring a 2018 ruling by the New York-based 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in favor of non-profit organizations that declined a provision of the 2003 law as a violation of the U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment.

Organizations including the Alliance for Open Society International, Pathfinder International, InterAction and the Global Health Council challenged the constitutionality of the measure.

The Trump administration claimed that foreign entities like those associated with the nonprofits do not have free speech rights that can be put forward in U.S. courts and that the rights of the American groups therefore were not tampered with.

“The law, enacted under Republican former President George W. Bush, intended to bar funding for organizations that operate programs overseas but do not have a blanket policy opposing prostitution and sex trafficking. The United States has spent billions of dollars to fight HIV/AIDS overseas.”

Source___ WASHINGTON (Reuters)

Coronavirus Death Toll Top 250,000 As Billions Raised Aloft For A Vaccine Push

Global deaths from the coronavirus escalated and topped a quarter-million on Monday, mainly in the US and Europe even as both regions steadily moved away from lockdown and world leaders garnered billions towards a vaccine.

An AFP result of official figures showed that Europe is the hardest-hit continent with around 145,000 fatalities, and the United States recorded close to 68,700 — together accounting for more than 85 percent of global fatalities.

An internal government approximated in Washington forecasts an even aggravating number of fatalities for the country. It said the daily COVID-19 death toll could double by the end of May.

In Europe, though, governments percive they have passed the point of the disease with deaths in the continent’s worst affected countries, drastically dropped as a result of nearly two months of restrainment.

Restaurants in Italy partly reopened and Germans lined up for haircuts in a Europe encompassing cautiously out of lockdown.

“Half of the planet has been under orders to shelter in place, and much of the world remained cautious even as countries from India to Nigeria sought to ease restrictions so that businesses can remain afloat and workers earn a wage after the pandemic-induced economic crash.”

Update___Channels TV

Trump administration thrusting to snatch global supply chains from China

The Trump administration is “turbocharging” an inventiveness to detach global industrial supply chains from China as it contemplates new tariffs to make an example of Beijing for its tackling of the coronavirus outbreak, according to officials familiar with U.S. planning.

President Donald Trump, who has crush up recent backfires on China ahead of the Nov. 3 U.S. presidential election, has since pledged to bring manufacturing way then from overseas.

Now, economic demolition and the enormous U.S. coronavirus death toll are driving a government-wide strive to move U.S. production and supply bond dependency away from China, even if it goes to other more friendly nations as an alternative, current and former senior U.S. administration officials said.

“We’ve been working on [reducing the reliance of our supply chains in China] over the last few years but we are now turbo-charging that initiative,” Keith Krach, undersecretary for Economic Growth, Energy and the Environment at the U.S. State Department told Reuters.

“I think it is essential to understand where the critical areas are and where critical bottlenecks exist,” Krach said, adding that the matter was important to U.S. security and one the government could make known new action on soon.

The U.S. Commerce Department, State and other agencies are looking for means to push companies to move both bearing out and manufacturing out of China. Tax incentives and potential re-shoring subsidies are among measures put in place to pervade changes, the current and former officials told Reuters.

“There is a whole of government push on this,” said one. Agencies are probing which manufacturing should be deemed “essential” and how to make these goods outside of China.

“This moment is a perfect storm; the pandemic has crystallized all the worries that people have had about doing business with China,” said another senior U.S. official.

Source____WASHINGTON (Reuters)

What’s at the back of new US plan of action on China?

Rigidity connecting the US and China are long-establishing but the pandemic and a emerging presidential election have boost the rivalry, and this week the conflict of words strike a new height. What’s the US plan of action?

This week President Donald J Trump revolved a corner with his 2020 re-election campaign.

“China will do anything they can to have me lose this race,” he told the Reuters news agency.

His accuminating rhetoric against Beijing stamped a new phase in an effort to replan an election that’s been rebuild by the coronavirus pandemic.

The Trump campaign had vowed to make America’s flourishing economy its vocal point, but that has besotted. And polls show reduction of support for the president in key battlefront states amidst criticism of his corona crisis performance.

Enter China, the origin of the pandemic and indict for acting too slowly to stop its global escalation.

The Republican strategy actually attacks the former vice president, Joe Biden, the presumed Democratic nominee.

“If you look at the most recent Pew poll and Gallup poll, Americans’ distrust of China, whether you’re Republican or Democrat, is at an all-time high,” roughly two-thirds of the country, says the AFA’s Kelly Sadler. “This is a universal issue that Republicans and Democrats can both agree on.”

There’s surely been a substantial hike in negative views of China since Mr Trump took office and push up the trade war.

When it comes to Beijing’s accountability for the corona crisis, nonetheless, he has regularly flickered, sometimes showering praise on President Xi Jinping, at times lashing the “Chinese Virus.” But he’s now started to adopt the hardline campaign-speak, vowing to make China pay for the damage.

Source___BBC

Trump isn’t pleased a South Korean film won best-picture Oscar

President Donald Trump bemoaned this year’s Academy Award winner for best picture, “Parasite,” on Thursday because it’s a South Korean film.

“How bad were the Academy Awards this year, did you see? ‘And the winner is … a movie from South Korea,’ ” Trump said, impersonating an announcer, at a rally in Colorado.
“What the hell was that all about? We’ve got enough problems with South Korea with trade, on top of it they give them the best movie of the year?” he asked.
Parasite was the first foreign language movie to win best picture at the Academy Awards. It also won awards for directing and original screenplay.
Trump, however, wasn’t impressed. He seemed more interested in American films that had been made more than 70 years ago.
“I’m looking for like, let’s get ‘Gone with the Wind’ — can we get like ‘Gone with the Wind’ back, please? ‘Sunset Boulevard,’ so many great movies,” he continued.
Trump said he didn’t know if “Parasite” was good. “I thought it was best foreign film, best foreign movie — no, it was the best. Did this ever happen before?” he asked
Neon, the American distributor of “Parasite,” responded to Trump’s criticism on Twitter.
“Understandable, he can’t read,” the company wrote.
Trump also wasn’t a fan of Brad Pitt, whose speech, when he received the award for best supporting actor, veered into politics when he mentioned John Bolton’s absence from the President’s Senate impeachment trial.
“I was never a big fan of his,” Trump said. “He got up, said a little wise-guy statement. Little wise guy, he’s a little wise guy.”
Pitt had joked during his acceptance speech about how the Senate voted against allowing witnesses during the trial, which had wrapped up the prior week.
“They told me I only had 45 seconds up here, which is 45 seconds more than the Senate gave John Bolton this week,” Pitt said. “I’m thinking maybe Quentin (Tarantino) does a movie about it and in the end the adults do the right thing.”

Film fans gear up for Nollywood-Bollywood crossover

The Nigerian star of upcoming movie Namaste Wahala has told fans that filming has wrapped ahead of its release on 24 April.

Ini Dima-Okojie plays opposite Indian actor Ruslaan Mumtaz in a “love story that cuts across the cultures of two countries”.

News of the upcoming film has delighted and amused fans:

“Nollywood featuring Bollywood? This is about to be the most dramatic, over-exaggerated movie ever made,” Twitter user Official Gracie said

.

“The name alone wants me to watch it. Namaste [means] peace. Wahala [means] trouble/problem. Gotta watch it with some Chicken Biryani and Jollof Rice for the culture(s),” said Jerome Antwin-Lewis

.

“A Nollybollywood romance called Namaste Wahala is exactly the type of film this world needs. I cannot wait to see it,” Ronke Lawal tweeted

OkayAfrica points out that this isn’t the first Nollywood-Bollywood crossover – that distinction belongs to the 2017 film J.U.D.E. , it says.

Nigeria and India boast two of the world’s biggest film industries – each year generating an estimated $800m (£620m)

and $2.6bn respectively

SOURCE: BBC AFRICA

Barclays CEO Jes Staley under investigation over links with Jeffrey Epstein

The American chief executive of Barclays (BCS), Jes Staley, is being investigated by British regulators over his relationship with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, the bank said in a statement on Thursday.

“The relationship between Mr Staley and Mr Epstein was the subject of an enquiry from the Financial Conduct Authority to which the Company responded,” Barclays said. “The FCA … subsequently commenced an investigation, which is ongoing, into Mr Staley’s characterization to the company of his relationship with Mr Epstein and the subsequent description of that relationship in the company’s response to the FCA.”
The FCA and another UK regulator, the Bank of England’s Prudential Regulation Authority, confirmed in a statement that they are investigating the Barclays CEO.
Staley has been running the bank since late 2015. Prior to that he worked for more than 30 years at JPMorgan (JPM), where he served as head of its investment banking division.
In its statement, Barclays said Staley had developed a professional relationship earlier in his career with Epstein, who died in jail last year while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges. The bank said Staley had told the board that he had had no contact with Epstein since becoming Barclays CEO in December 2015.
“Based on a review, conducted with the support of external counsel, of the information available to us and representations made by Mr Staley, the board … believes that Mr Staley has been sufficiently transparent with the company as regards the nature and extent of his relationship with Mr Epstein. Accordingly, Mr Staley retains the full confidence of the board, and is being unanimously recommended for re-election at the Annual General Meeting.”

Lawrence Ray: US student’s dad charged for sex trafficking

A man accused of abusing his daughter’s university roommates has been arrested in the US and charged with extortion, sex trafficking and forced labour.

Prosecutors say Lawrence “Larry” Ray extorted some $1m (£771,000) from students at New York’s Sarah Lawrence College, abusing them “emotionally, physically, and sexually”.

The charges were prompted by a story in New York magazine, which detailed the alleged workings of Mr Ray’s “cult”.

Mr Ray, 60, has denied the allegations.

He was arrested on Tuesday in the state of New Jersey.

“For the better part of the last decade, we allege there was no limit to the abuse Ray’s victims received, and there is no way of knowing the amount of damage he may have caused them in the years to come,” said FBI Assistant Director William Sweeney.

What are the accusations?

According to New York magazine, the abuse started when Mr Ray showed up at his daughter’s university in 2010, after being released from prison, where he had been serving time on charges related to a custody dispute.

The publication said his daughter described him to friends as a “truth-teller” who had been unjustly imprisoned. A former FBI informant, Mr Ray had been a close associate of former New York police chief Bernard Kerik. The pair fell out and Mr Ray cooperated with authorities in a high-profile corruption case against Kerik.

Mr Ray moved into his daughter’s dormitory, where prosecutors say he presented himself as a father-figure and began conducting “therapy” sessions.

During the sessions, he allegedly learned intimate details about the students’ private lives and mental health struggles. He alienated several of them from their parents, persuading some to move into a Manhattan apartment and convincing them that they were “broken” and needed his help.

After gaining their trust, prosecutors say Mr Ray subjected his victims to interrogation sessions in which he falsely accused them of harming him by attempting to poison him or damage his property. He allegedly demanded confessions, using tactics including sleep deprivation, sexual humiliation and physical violence.

On one occasion, after accusing a male victim of damaging his property, Mr Ray brandished a knife and threatened to dismember the victim with it, forcing a false confession, the indictment says.

He is accused of using the false confessions to extort money, which the victims attempted to pay by draining their parents’ savings and opening credit lines, among other means. Authorities say he collected more than $500,000 from one woman after forcing her into prostitution, while several were forced to perform unpaid labour.

In total, he is accused of extorting about $1m from at least five victims.

Authorities say he laundered the proceeds of his crimes through an internet domain business.

Manhattan US Attorney Geoffrey Berman said: “College is supposed to be a time of self-discovery and new-found independence. But as alleged, Lawrence Ray exploited that vulnerable time in his victims’ lives through a course of conduct that shocks the conscience”.

Mr Ray has denied the charges, claiming they are the result of a conspiracy against him.

In a statement reported by US media, Sarah Lawrence College described the charges as “serious, wide-ranging, disturbing, and upsetting”.

It said it launched an internal investigation after the New York magazine story was published, which it said “did not substantiate those specific claims”.

Copyright © 2014-2021 Afrinity Productions.
Powered By SML Media

| KABBO Theme by: D5 Creation | Powered by: WordPress