now browsing by tag
By Amie T. Camara
Afrinity Production unbosom to you the message disclose by the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) that he hopes the coronavirus pandemic will be over in under two years.
Speaking in Geneva, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the Spanish flu of 1918 had taken two years to overcome.
But he added that current advances in technology could enable the world to halt the virus “in a shorter time”.
“Of course with more connectiveness, the virus has a better chance of spreading,” he said.
“But at the same time, we have also the technology to stop it, and the knowledge to stop it,” he noted, stressing the importance of “national unity, global solidarity”.
The flu of 1918 killed at least 50 million people.
Coronavirus has so far killed almost 800,000 people and infected nearly 23 million.
On Friday, a number of countries announced their highest numbers of new cases in months.
South Korea recorded 324 new cases – its highest single-day total since March.
As with its previous outbreak, the new infections have been linked to churches, and museums, nightclubs and karaoke bars have now been closed in and around the capital Seoul in response.
SOURCES__BBC, Reuters, Aljazeera
President Donald Trump has formally disclosed to withdraw the US from the World Health Organization (WHO) effective July 6th 2021.
Trumph had made his intentions known in late May, accusing the WHO of being under China’s control in the wake of the coronavirus escalation.
Despite calls from the EU and others, Trumph said he would pull out of the UN agency and redirect funds elsewhere.
He has now make known this know to the UN and Congress of his intentions, although the process could take at least a year.
Stéphane Dujarric, spokesman for the UN secretary-general, confirmed the US had notified it of its withdrawal, effective as of 6 July 2021.
Senator Robert Menendez, the leading Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee, also wrote on Twitter:
“Congress received notification that POTUS officially withdrew the US from the WHO in the midst of a pandemic.
“It leaves Americans sick and America alone.”
Joe Biden, who will challenge Donald Trump in the November presidential election, tweeted: “On my first day as President, I will rejoin the WHO and restore our leadership on the world stage.”
‘The US is the global health agency’s largest single contributor, providing more than $400m (£324m; €360m) in 2019, around 15% of its total budget.’
The United States on Monday condemned the World Health Organization’s “failure” to secure and provide significant information on COVID-19 that could have help stop the pandemic and saved many lives.
“We must be frank about one of the primary reasons this outbreak spun out of control: there was a failure by this organisation to obtain the information that the world needed, and that failure cost many lives,” US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar said in a video address to the WHO’s main annual meeting.
Azar hold out that the WHO had to change and become more clear, as he reverse an independent review of “every aspect” of the UN health agency’s response to the escalates pandemic.
The escalation, which first started in China late last year, has killed and infected more people in the United States than in any other country by far.
Washington has adjourned its funding to the WHO, indicting it of being too close to Beijing, and covering up and mishandlng of the pandemic.
“In an apparent attempt to conceal this outbreak, at least one member state made a mockery of their transparency obligations, with tremendous costs for the entire world,” said Azar.
“We saw that the WHO failed at its core mission of information sharing and transparency when member states do not act in good faith.
“This cannot ever happen again. The status quo is intolerable. WHO must change, and it must become far more transparent and far more accountable.”
Azar said that while countries were concentrating on the sudden response to the pandemic, they US Says WHO ‘Failure’ On COVID-19 ‘Cost Many Lives’